Hey kid, you want a toothpick?

Drive                                                                                      2011
by Nicolas Winding Refn, Crime/Thriller/Neo-Noir, USA, 100'
8.1/10



Yeah, I saw this trailer too and was wondering why I would ever want to watch this film. But all my trusted sources regarding cinema published really good reviews about it so I decided to check what all the fuzz was about. And WOW, they were right! Best film I've seen so far this year.

Copy-pasting the short imdb synopsis: "A Hollywood stunt performer who moonlights as a wheelman discovers that a contract has been put on him after a heist gone wrong." You already get the story more or less from the trailer. But it's slightly misleading because it fails to show how stylish the direction work is. Better keep an eye on Danish director Nicolas Winding Refn from now on. He even got an award for it on this year's Festival de Cannes.

First positive impact for me was the music (which I'm listening to as I type this) - minimal synth pop in the ongoing 80s revival style - but very well placed to create a unique gloomy and desolate mood in every scene. The movie keeps going with unexpectedly beautiful camera work and photography of a noir ambient mixed with a certain vintage feel (again, the music). I also got a lot of vibes from Tarantino's Death Proof, David Lynch's Lost Highway and Gaspar Noé's violence. I smell a cult movie here.

Many might complain about a weak and unoriginal plot or something but if you have good directing, beautiful cinematography, solid acting and fitting music like this the plot itself becomes kind of unimportant. Watch it!

I even dug up the Little White Lies issue dedicated to this film:

0 fruits commented:

Post a Comment